Monday, July 12, 2010

Recession Obsession

Lately, my design budget has gone from minimal to nearly non-existent, but I never stop dreaming of what changes I might make next.  An easy (and inexpensive) addition that I love for the summer are some bright and bold throw pillows.  Like a coat of paint, a few new pillows can transform a room for next to nothing. Today, after Googling and drooling over my favorite pillow (or curtain, or chair, or sofa) fabric ever-

(Colorway: Aquamarine)

Schumacher's Chiang Mai Dragon pattern, (whose $206/yd cost is the single reason I haven't already re-covered every upholstered item in my house)- I somehow stumbled on my newest obsession:  John Robshaw Textiles.  


Years ago, Robshaw traveled across Asia searching for dyes for his own fabric work. In the process, he found and fell in love with the talented local artisans who produced remarkably beautiful textiles- all through traditional methods.  



                

When I look at the block printed, embroidered, woven, painted, and hand-dipped fabrics I can't help but let my mind wander to the smoky souks, spice markets and vibrant colors of somewhere halfway around the world.



Everything I saw on Robshaw's site was equally simple and stunning.  The bed ensembles are to-die-for and block-printed tablecloths would look equally fabulous at at formal dinner or outdoor picnic.  And don't even get me started on the delicate baby crib linens or adorable dog beds.  But the little jewels that really caught my eye are the throw-pillows.


               

While I might not be able to hop a plane to India this summer, these mini-pieces-of-art will transform my living room into a place thousands of miles away.




Click here to check out John Robshaw Textiles' Fall Preview.




(All images, except for Schumacher Chiang Mai, borrowed from johnrobshaw.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment