Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Black and White


When traveling, I am always on the lookout for souvenirs. Not t-shirts or shot glasses or those weird silver spoons...but handmade pieces that, years down the road, will still look beautiful in my home and remind me of my journeys.

While cruising down Broadway in Tucson, I found an amazing Mexican import store called Zocalo. The owners were so friendly, and loved telling the stories behind their finds. In many cases, they deal directly with artisans and furniture makers, so prices are pretty reasonable for gorgeous handcrafted items.

The antique furniture, jewelry and tin art were all calling my name, but the Talavera Vasquez painted pottery was absolutely gorgeous. The traditional designs were so graphically simple, bold and crisp that they just popped amid the clutter of the other folk art.


I later discovered that these pots were actually featured in an issue of (may it rest in peace) Domino Magazine, so that made my infatuation seem that much more justified. My large black and white chevron "tibor" is looking a little lonely, so I can't wait to add to my collection on my next visit.

How awesome is this planter? (14"x 5.5" x 5") I'm envisioning it on my kitchen counter, filled with limes! Who's ready for a margarita?
(images from Emilia Ceramics)

No comments:

Post a Comment