Sunday, July 25, 2010

Inner Compass

I'm feeling rather artsy and brooding and introspective today.  If I could dress to match my mood, I would definitely be a hipster.  Alas, I don't have dark nail polish, Converse, or thick rimmed glasses, so I'm just going to be all mysterious and contemplative on my blog instead.

I happened upon this video/art installation by Garvin Nolte a few weeks ago.  "'Crossroads (what to do)' deals with the influence of others onto one’s own path of life in an abstract way," says Nolte.  Being in a huge period of transition in my own life, it really spoke to me.  So did its' interpretation over at NOTCOT:


"Ever feel like everyone is pulling you in so many different directions?" (yes..)  
"Or telling you where to go and what to do?" (Amen.)  
"Is your technology dictating your life… literally?" (uh, are you looking in my windows?...)  


I doubt anyone would have made this further connection in Nolte's homeland, Germany, but after watching the video and not having understood a single word, I saw another parallel to my life as of late.  I often feel that while the people giving advice mean well, they are relaying all the directions in a language completely foreign to me, rendering them useless.  


Sometimes, you've just gotta shut out all that chatter and listen to your inner compass for a change.



crossroads (what to do) from Garvin Nolte on Vimeo.










No comments:

Post a Comment